◣ FAQ ◢
so what characters are allowed?
Any character with sufficient canon, whether it be book, video game, webcomic, movie, etc, can be applied for. No doubles will be allowed; likewise, AUs are not allowed, nor are OCs allowed at this time. A character will be coming directly from their canon to the game. A canon AU is allowed, but then the original may not be apped. For instance, a Final Fantasy: Dissida character may be apped for, but then its canon counterpart will not be allowed.
where is my character?
Through some sort of blip on the radar, metaphorically speaking, your character has been transported from their home world to an underwater city called Vatheon. Unfortunately there's no way out and they're... kind of stuck here! That's okay though because the locals are welcoming and cater to their every needs.
Need a home? Go to the real estate office and Brad will hook you up! Food? The marketplace is full of stands and shops ready to sell food of all kinds to the foreigners. Luckily for you, everything is free! Well... most things.
Well, you see, everything in Vatheon is free. Everything in the Nostalgia Nook costs. See, to bring things from other worlds to satisfy the foreigners takes a bit of power. To replace the power costs money. The money, otherwise known as StarFish Tokens are simply tokens stored on a credit card of sorts that pops out your character's StarFish Communicator (SFC) when need be. Don't worry about keeping track, the Token Card takes care of everything.
what's the setting like?
When your character arrives anywhere around Vatheon, soaking wet, they will find a few things.
First, they will find a marking somewhere on their body. It isn't anything too large, but it is certainly visible. It might be just about anywhere, and it will look like this. There is more information on it later in this faq.
Second, they find the city. As for the city -- well, it's very clean and very orderly--rather too clean and orderly. No matter what happens to the city, things will be fixed and repaired. The natives carry on their daily tasks cheerfully and without complaint, and they are always polite and friendly with the foreigners...well, unless one does something to upset them.
The city is clean, but there sure are a lot of empty buildings...
is my character given any information about vatheon upon arrival?
When your character arrives, there will be no spirit fish guide to greet them with information, nor a cheerful demo video informing them of what's up. Your character can find out about Vatheon through two ways; first there is through using their starfish communicator or asking around -- don't expect much information out of the locals however; they are friendly, but man, they have certainly mastered the art of chatting a lot but not saying anything.
A second option is the foreigner run welcoming committee. They have a building on the plaza, decorated with a huge 'Welcome to Vatheon
' banner. There is always someone available here for a run-down spiel of Vatheon's most 'need to know things' as well as veritable stack of brochures explaining everything from the curses, to having a very general map of Vatheon, a quick run down of the housing available and a short list of the most important locations in Vatheon.
What this means for you, as a player, is mainly that if it isn't to your taste to make a big, confused intro post, or if you character would not be the type to reach out to others in that way, you are free to assume your character got the necessary information at the welcoming committee and is now on their way to living a happy, underwater life.
what's a starfish communicator?
A little device used to keep in contact with the rest of the foreigners. Despite the weak design (it has its similarities to a starfish), it's a very powerful device. Video, voice, and text posts are able to go be posted to the Network using these devices. It comes in many different colors and many different styles of sorts. Catered to the needs of your character, yet keeping it's nautical design all the while.
You might even find some games on it, if you're lucky.
If your character is capable of coding, they can even make new games and programmes for their SFCs, though it seems impossible to break into and alter the base coding.
You may post anonymously.
so what does my character do here?
Vatheon is your jamjar (a colloquial term used for roleplays set in inescapable settings) under the sea. Events regularly, player plots happening all the time and just fun all around. It's really up to you, the player, what sort of shenanigans your character gets up to. Tag around, make posts, do all sorts of things! We'll throw events your way if we see the players are interested; it's a give and take really.
Previously, there would be bi-weekly "curse week" happening in Vatheon which put the characters through some sort of ordeal (be it good or bad). Yet as of January 2011, when the Lamufao broke in half, curse weeks are now random.
everything is free?
Almost! In Nostalgia Nook, things can be purchased from home; however, they cost Starfish Tokens. These tokens can be earned through jobs or just helping out a native; they are happy to hand them out, generally! Usually they go automatically onto a card--this card fits into your SFC very neatly! However, you can also cash out the tokens at Nostalgia Nook for the actual tokens, in which case you'll end up with a handful of these.
how does posting work?
This is a community based roleplay! It is really up to the player where they post, as the network community (caughtinanetwork) can be used for action, voice, video, and text posts while the main community (vatheon) is mostly used for action or prose logs or, even, large events (NPC and/or player).
insert question about applications here!
In regards to applications, we'll answer the most common questions here. First, a player can have to as many as five characters. If they pass the Activity Check with all five characters -- none of which are on hiatus or exempt from -- then they can apply as a sixth. OC and AU characters are not allowed. History and samples can be linked. Duplicates have been explained in the rules and finally, animal characters are also allowed.
Also, PBs are completely fine with us! Just remember, if someone in Vatheon shares the same face as your PB, try to get in contact with the mun of the character first!
If we've missed anything, send a question our way! Some of it might have been answered on the Application page though!
canon updates, dropping, death, and more!
- When a character is dropped from Vatheon, they disappear on the contact list and are completely gone from Vatheon. Their stuff is left behind but if no one claims it within 24 hours, it disappears from the city.
- Canon updates are handled here but in summary, your character leaves as if being dropped -- gone from contact list and from Vatheon. Yet, their stuff stays more than 24 hours! They are gone for three days after touching the coral and appear on the third, their memories of Vatheon returning instantly. Though, how instant is up to the mun.
- One RL day = One Vatheon day! There is no known year though.
- When characters arrive, this mark appears somewhere on their body. It appears like a tattoo but if one digs deeper literally they will find it goes all the way down to the bone. It's impossible to remove without severely hurting oneself and yet, even if one chops the arm where the mark is off, it will appear elsewhere on the body the next day or the arm itself with magically appear back on the body the next day.
- On the same note of sorts, if a character dies, they will arrive in the plaza perfectly unharmed in five days, although not without any repercussions - for both the killer and the killed. When they die though, the body will be left there until night time unless someone collects it. At night, the nurses from the clinic might be seen collecting the body and bringing it to the clinic, but that's as far as it goes. If someone does do something with the body before the nurses have it, the body will just pretty much lay around uselessly and begin to smell. That is, until the night of the fourth day when it disappears completely!
No worries though, they're still on the contact list.
Please note that you must now get mod approval for character death via filling out a form located over here along with more details about repercussions, etc.
about this lamufao...
The Great Lamufao is a large coral located in the middle of the city in the plaza. It is worshiped by the residents of the city as a deity and they will not tolerate desecration or anything of the sort against it. Think of this -- would you disrespect a statue of Buddha perhaps, in real life? I think not. The locals want the foreigners to be happy, but if something like that comes about, they won't hesitate to punish.
The Lamufao is what appears to be holding the barrier up. Characters are required once a month to touch the coral to renew their energy, yet this can all be handwaved. The Lamufao is also somewhat of a miracle worker. If a character is near death and they touch the coral, they will be revived with enough energy to go home and enter a dreamless sleep of which they will wake up and be restored to the best state possible without taking away injuries or scars from their original universe. Imagine how your character arrived at Vatheon; they will wake up in that state but at their complete best. Nifty, huh?
Another thing is that the Lamufao is pretty much indestructible. There is no way to break it and if one punches/kicks/drives into it, the only thing that will happen is it will rebound against them. Ouch.
If there's any questions, don't hesitate to contact a mod!
- Characters can keep everything they had on them when they were taken from their home worlds within reason. No gundams, sorry!
- Pets are allowed, they can appear with them when they awake or come somehow through an event of sorts. They can be no larger than a dog (Clifford doesn't count).
- Pokemon Trainers may bring up to 6 pokemon with them. Legendaries are fine. We do ask that they are kept in the pokeball at all times if they are too big. Please check here and send us a message if you wish to breed pokemon.
- Sorry but no pregnancy!
- And for you newbies, here is a pretty thorough and interesting guide on "how to LJRP" basically! It might help a lot if you read through it.
- Annnddd here is a helpful guide concerning the differences between the LJ → DW site system and overall setup, considering we recently moved to DW.
- Anything else? Just ask a moderator or comment this entry! We'll respond ASAP.
GETTING STARTED: premise ☆ rules ☆ taken ☆ reserves ☆ applications
GAME INFO: faq ☆ the city ☆ the island ☆ nostalgia nook ☆ welcome brochure ☆ information database
OOC INFO: mod contact ☆ player contact ☆ dropping ☆ hiatus ☆ residency
vatheon ☆ caughtinanetwork ☆ vatheonooc ☆ batheon